Feature Request: High Definition Audio for AC3 and DTS

Free video converter, convert from any format to any format, mkv to avi, m2ts to avi, mp4, h264, mts, wmv, mov, DVD, etc.

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

scorpion90

Re: Feature Request: High Definition Audio for AC3 and DTS

Post by scorpion90 »

I've tried several files and the same thing happens, the program turns a light color and I get a windows notification that the program has stopped working.
MyMojo

Post by MyMojo »

Hi scorpion. I've been following this thread and have enjoyed it. I am running 1.4.0.8 on my workstation, and 1.3.0.0 on my laptop. When I get home tonight, I will use your log info and try to duplicate on my system and see if it happens. Thanks for your posts and helping VSO. I too have an interest in getting HD audio in my files, and will be celebrating in the future when I can convert a Bluray 3d with Dolby Atmos into a perfect streaming file!
scorpion90

Post by scorpion90 »

Hi MyMojo,

I too will celebrate when we can have both high definition audio along with our high definition video in this product. I originally thought I needed the ConvertXtoHD product but after using this one I like it a lot more.

I think this product has great potential with a nice interface and good flexible options for video transcoding or remuxing along with custom profiles. I am greatly hoping for future improvements in audio remuxing of high definition audio tracks.
When that happens I think this product should sell for a premium price.

A freeware product called multiAVCHD can remux the high definition audio tracks with no loss in quality using public domain software engines, so I think this product is capable of doing the same with a much nicer interface environment.
MyMojo

Post by MyMojo »

+1

Couldn't agree more. I am very impressed with VSOs work, and see an excellent piece of software in the making!
scorpion90

Post by scorpion90 »

I see that you are at the cutting (bleeding?) edge of technology with 3D video and Dolby Atmos. I sure enjoy 3D also and hope we get software support, but that might be very difficult looking at the 3D blu-ray file structure.

I love VSO products also and will support them however I can.
MyMojo

Post by MyMojo »

Hi scorpion... I had a Blu-ray file (Hobbit Unexpected Journey) on my server in the same format of your initial file (MKV), loaded it and put all of the conversion settings you had too (M2TS, H264, AC3, ect.) and ran it up to 50%+ before having to shut everything down for a bad thunderstorm that moved through. (Moved my workstation a few days ago but haven't moved the UPS yet). It was converting fine up to that point without any hiccups. I too have a discrete NVidia card (GTX 560) and was using all of the accelerations as well. I don't know what all of your settings are, but it appears to work on mine okay. I will run it again (got the UPS moved now) and see what happens.

About Atmos: I've been watching that for a short while and think that's the future HD audio choice of Hollywood that will actually stick around. It's very flexible and can handle 64 audio channels.....unbelievable! So I am really looking forward to it. My wife and I went to our first Atmos movie (Hobbit) in December 2012, and I was completely blown away. I've seen two others in the theater since (Hobbit 2 and Frozen) and am completely hooked. I read some threads from people out there claiming that 'the human ear can only hear....blah, blah, blah...' All I can say is this: They are either deaf, not paying attention, haven't heard HD audio correctly, or a combination of the three! :roll:

As for cutting edge... Well, I get cutting edge when my budget allows me. LOL! We just bought a new home about 3 years ago, and it's not finished on the inside yet (got an awesome deal). So I am finishing the carpentry work, and we have decided to make our bonus room above the 3-car garage a home theater. Complete with pizza, candy, popcorn, and soda vending, a restroom, and home theater seating. I can do woodworking too, so will be making my own speakers inlayed into the walls. It will also have a 3D overhead projector and silver screen. Our current setup is just a 60" 3D Samsung plasma with a Denon Dolby 5.1 theater system with JBL speakers (that I bought 22 years ago!) Still works like a charm, but right now I only have it running in 2.1, as I am not going to mess with it too much since we will be building a theater. So....as of right now, my work is to convert our very large DVD and Blu-ray collection into files to put into a Synology NAS. The NAS will feed all of the Roku boxes throughout the house running Plex. My wife and daughters will like me to keep this as simple as possible, and Plex delivers that for sure.

I will look into multiAVCHD. I've not seen that yet. Computers and networking have been a hobby of mine for about 28 years now, but I just started learning about video files a week ago. So I am really studying a lot right now, and playing Ketchup! Haha!

Take care,
Garrett
scorpion90

Post by scorpion90 »

Hi Garrett,

Thank you for the very nice post, I am envious of your future home theater and wish you good luck with the project.

I started out as an audio enthusiast when I was in high school (1966-gad!) and bought my first stereo system from a local audio shop in Akron, Ohio. After graduating from college and saving a little dough, I bought a Marantz preamp, AR amp, and AR3A stereo speakers and thought I had heard the pinnacle of stereo sound. Boy did I have a lot to learn when I heard a McIntosh system with electrostatic (?) speakers. I'm sure it cost a small fortune and was way out of my price range.

It didn't take long for me to become interested in surround sound since some of the early quad systems were available from Sansui. It didn't catch on in those days but was very intriguing. I've had a couple of great Denon receivers while they were still made in Japan but my recent acquisition of one was disappointing and I returned it to Amazon and bought an Onkyo NR818 which had everything I wanted-plenty of power, 7.2 channels, Audyssey XT32 room calibration, network streaming, and great build quality.

I've been struggling with learning how to encode my video/audio files to stream to my Sony S790 blu-ray player. I am hoping that the VSO Video converter matures so I can experiment easier and find the best trade off between video/audio quality and streaming ability over wi-fi. I just purchased an Oppo 103D and am excited to play with it and determine it's capabilities. As you can see, I've always been a fan of high quality audio and now video, and that's what has motivated me to work with VSO on improving the high definition audio muxing of video files. I belong to the AVS forum and that's a great place to learn and discuss video and audio.

Thank you for testing video converter 1.4.0.8 on your system. I don't know why all of a sudden the program refuses to run on my system. I did a clean reinstall and it still refuses to run. Hopefully the folks at VSO will have some insight to the problem.

I've not heard Dolby Atmos in the theater yet so I really have no basis of opinion except what you have expressed. I hope I don't get the bug since that means more speakers and a new AVR. You'll have to let me know how your system takes shape and how you're setting up your home theater with Dolby Atmos.

Take care,
Tony
JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ »

I can experiment easier and find the best trade off between video/audio quality and streaming ability over wi-fi.
I would ditch wi-fi and use proper networking, if there is no way to pull cables then use powerline adapters to get connection, those are pretty cheap and can easily transfer 200-300 mbps instead of wi-fi's average of 30mbps. Wi-fi is also very prone to problems and bandwidth is shared with anyone using that w-fi network.
Then there is no need to lower quality - I use powerline adapters to stream FullHD mkv files from my server to media computer and no problems. I used wi-fi before and it just had too many problems. Using lower resolution was good though.
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.click2give4free.com/val.php?v=739
This link is just for spammers, don't click!
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

scorpion90 wrote:Installed v1.4.0.9 and did a conversion of my control mkv file with dts HD MA 7.1 audio and the program only reports the core dts at 5.1. Still hoping for remux capability of audio. thanks
scorpion90 wrote:I reinstalled v1.4.0.8 and every time I try to do a conversion the program stops working.
What if you were to install v1.4.0.9 again (a version that apparently worked for you) and see if it works now. If it doesnt then something must have changed on your computer independent of VSO Video Converter....
http://oasis.vso-software.fr/Beta/AllVS ... 4.0.9b.exe
MyMojo

Post by MyMojo »

Tony,

Sorry for the late response....it's been super hectic around here lately, and I've not had a chance to do much hobby stuff.

I'm impressed and a little envious of your historical experience with audio. I have found (and this could only be me and a few others) that sometimes, especially playing music media, that those older amps and heavy magnet speakers (thinking Fisher right now) sound so much better than the newer (lighter) stuff. I know a guy in Chicago, a few years ago spent a lot of time and energy searching out and putting together a powerful stereo system built with 1980's equipment, and the first thing he cranked up when he got it together was Stairway to Heaven! LOL! He said it was like taking a drink of perfectly-aged, old vintage Scotch that was recently found in someone's ancient root cellar. Ha ha!!

But I digress: I wanted to report that the test file I was creating, like the one that crashes your computer, finished on my system without crashing and plays just fine. So it does appear (unless there is a setting in General Settings switched differently than mine) that there must be an issue somewhere in your hardware. Have you tried using Window's "Event Viewer" to see what it reports? If you've never used it before, click 'Start' and in the 'Search programs and files' text box, type "Event Viewer" and it should come to the top of the Start Menu so you can open it. Dig through there and see what you find. You may need to repeat the crash again to figure it out.

If you don't mind, report back and tell us what you find. I'm curious.

Later,
Garrett
MyMojo

Post by MyMojo »

Also, for those reading this thread and have not heard Atmos yet, plug a pair of your best headsets into your computer, turn the volume to about 60-70%, play this Dolby clip, and cup your hands around your ear pieces while slightly pushing them against your ears (to keep as much sound going into your head as possible). Now....imagine this with a pair of certified Atmos headphones or sound system in your theater room! The future of HD audio makes me drool... LOL!

http://www.fandango.com/dolby
scorpion90

Post by scorpion90 »

Hi Claire,

Well I rebooted my computer and ran VSO video converter v1.4.0.8 and it worked! I don't know what changed, but to my surprise it worked. The only thing I noticed is in the general settings options to use hardware optimizations, the center option to "Use Hardware Encoders (nVidia CUDA)" is greyed out. I thought that all three of these options were available to enable.

I've attached a picture to show the options and the greyed out center option. Is this correct? I don't think so. On previous versions I thought all three of these options were selectable.

[attachment=0]Cuda.jpg[/attachment]

Thanks,
Tony
Attachments
Hardware Options Optimizations
Hardware Options Optimizations
Last edited by scorpion90 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MyMojo

Post by MyMojo »

LOL! I just posted this problem too. Did you just upgrade your NVidia video card driver? It happed to me right after I upgraded my drivers to 340.52.
scorpion90

Post by scorpion90 »

MyMojo wrote:LOL! I just posted this problem too. Did you just upgrade your NVidia video card driver? It happed to me right after I upgraded my drivers to 340.52.
Yes, I just installed the latest nVidia driver (340.52) for my Geforce GTX 645. Do you think this may be the cause of the hardware optimization settings issue?

Thanks for the post.
MyMojo

Post by MyMojo »

It's gotta be, since it happened to me too right after I upgraded. We'll have to wait and see what the VSO team says. Maybe they know about it already?
scorpion90

Post by scorpion90 »

OK, I posted to the thread that you started about the issue also. Thanks for the heads up.
MyMojo

Post by MyMojo »

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but I think it would be nice if more channels for AAC was included in the audio upgrade request.

Unless I've read something wrong, AAC can handle up to 48 channels in a single stream. 8 or more channel availability for AAC would be awesome!
scorpion90

Post by scorpion90 »

Claire wrote:
scorpion90 wrote:Installed v1.4.0.9 and did a conversion of my control mkv file with dts HD MA 7.1 audio and the program only reports the core dts at 5.1. Still hoping for remux capability of audio. thanks
scorpion90 wrote:I reinstalled v1.4.0.8 and every time I try to do a conversion the program stops working.
What if you were to install v1.4.0.9 again (a version that apparently worked for you) and see if it works now. If it doesnt then something must have changed on your computer independent of VSO Video Converter....
http://oasis.vso-software.fr/Beta/AllVS ... 4.0.9b.exe
My problems with Video Converter went away when I rolled back my nvidia driver. The program no longer freezes and all the hardware acceleration options are available. The new invidia driver was causing all the problems. I know Cedric is aware of this issue.

I've installed version 1.4.0.13 and did some conversions and noted that the hardware acceleration is really working well and running 85-92% cuda utilization.....very fast!

I did a conversion of a blu-ray structure to an MKV file using the built in MKV Remux profile. The converter created an mkv file with Dolby Digital TrueHD from the original blu-ray structure much to my surprise!!!
I wish this profile would do the remux conversion for DTS HD MA audio (at present it extracts only the core and only in 5.1 channels even when the original is 7.1 channels)!
MyMojo

Post by MyMojo »

Hi Tony... On the Feature Request: Quick Sync thread, cribber is experiencing slow CUDA encodings, and I think his gpu is newer than mine, which is a Fermi. I think you've got a Kepler, right? Have you noticed a cap around 40 fps, or much slower speeds than it used to be?

Thanks,
Garrett
scorpion90

Post by scorpion90 »

Hi Garrett,

My Invidia card (Geoforce GTX 645) uses Kepler architecture and I have seen fps running on average well over 100 fps during conversion. Latest versions of video converter are utilizing the gpu at 85-90% per nvidiaInspector.

Tony